Saturday, April 11, 2009

Peter and the Starcatchers

Peter and the Starcatchers, by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, is such an awful book that I'm not going to wait until I finish to review it.

This book is an effective, non-habit-forming substitute for a sleeping pill. Allegedly a prequel to the J.M. Barrie classic, it is sheer torture to read aloud, draining the life force out of the reader with every artless, plodding, cliche-ridden sentence. The characters are wooden, the attempts at humor are vulgar and/or disgusting (but what did I expect from Dave Barry?), and the story line is predictable and tedious.

I would drop it immediately if I weren't reading it aloud to a six-year-old who wants to find out how it ends. Learn from my experience -- don't start.

No comments:

Post a Comment